When you’re ready

Today's contraception methods are gentler on the body than they used to be, and generally they are designed to not influence your fertility after you stop using them. Even hormonal contraceptives like the long-acting reversible methods allow you to return to your normal fertility because the hormones in these methods leave the body after you stop using them.

When do you want to get pregnant?

Thinking about future pregnancies is bound to be a factor in deciding on a contraception method. Here are some things to consider.

Within a Year

If you intend to get pregnant within a year or so, it might not be worth opting for a long-acting contraceptive. Shorter-term contraceptives such as the pill, a diaphragm, or the patch just might be easier for you to manage.

In 3-5 Years

There are plenty of options for women who want to get pregnant in a few years’ time. If using contraception every time you have sex, or remembering a daily pill isn't an issue for you, then shorter-term options can work just fine. If you would prefer a longer acting option, methods like a coil or an implant may be suitable for you and can last up to 3 and 5 years depending on the method. You may also want to consider the hormonal injection which is given every 8 to 13 weeks. After you stop using the contraceptive injection, it can take up to a year to return to your normal fertility. 


If you are not planning to become pregnant in the near future, and would rather have a long-acting contraception method that doesn't demand a regular routine, a contraceptive implant or a hormonal coil are both good options that work for up to 3 to 5 years. A copper coil does not contain hormones and works for a longer period - up to 5 to 10 years, depending on the type you choose. If you know that you don’t want to get pregnant, or if you don’t want to have more children, male or female sterilisation are the permanent, irreversible options.


Speak to a healthcare professional for advice and support on your contraceptive needs.

doctor CTA
doctor CTA


Report possible side effects

If you want to report a side effect of medication, please contact your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in your contraception package leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the MHRA Yellow Card Scheme at https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/ or search MHRA Yellow Card in Google Play or Apple App Store.
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of medicines.