Concerns about pain are natural

The implant, the coil (hormonal coil & copper coil) and the injection are some of the most reliable long-acting reversible methods of contraception. 

But some women are worried about the whole experience of getting one of these methods.

What should you expect?

Speaking to a healthcare professional is really important so that they can answer any questions that you have and can put your mind at ease if you are worried. Once you have decided which method you'd like to have, they can also advise you on what you can expect at your appointment.

Will it hurt?

Everyone is different and we all have different pain thresholds. Most women tolerate having a LARC, whether it's having an implant inserted, having a coil fitted or getting an injection. You may need some pain killers before you have a coil fitted. With an implant you need a local anaesthetic to numb the area. A healthcare professional can advise you on what you can take before your appointment.

How would I feel afterwards?

After a coil insertion, some women may experience some cramps and dizziness. These are usually comparable to having a period, and should get better over time. But if you find that the pain persists, it's important to seek medical attention. 


With an implant, you may feel some bruising, tenderness or swelling around the implant after it has been inserted. This should and these should get better quickly. It's important to seek medical advice if  you notice any changes to the skin or feel any pain where the implant is. 


As with any injection, you may experience some redness or pain where the injection has been given. Depending on the type of injection you choose you may experience some headaches and dizziness which should get better over time. So you should bear this in mind if you are driving back home and perhaps think about bringing someone else with you to the appointment to take you home.


Speak to a healthcare professional for advice and support on your contraceptive needs.

doctor CTA
doctor CTA


Report possible side effects

If you want to report a side effect of medication, please contact your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in your contraception package leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the MHRA Yellow Card Scheme at or search MHRA Yellow Card in Google Play or Apple App Store.
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of medicines.